The region’s water supply history. Initially, ground water was used in the late 1800s. It wasn’t ’til the 1930s that the region began planning for use of surface water. A first major project was the Lake Houston Dam, which was constructed in 1951 to 1954. That formed the reservoir of Lake Houston. The next regional reservoir constructed was Lake Conroe and Lake Livingston in the late 1960s and early seventies.
The Coastal Water Authority began planning the Luce Bayou Diversion Project in the early 1970s. The design was completed in the late 1970s but it was never bid, the need for the water just did not justify the project at that time. It was not until the early 2000s, with the problems caused by groundwater subsidence, and the forecast, and population growth through the region, that the project was again resurrected. The design of the project began again. Early in the permitting process for the Luce Bayou Project, the engineers working on the project, found an old “Houston Chronicle” article from 1938 which identified the Capers Ridge Pump Station location as a secondary water supply location. So the project has been conceptually known about since 1938.